An owl's hoot is quite remarkable. Such a common sound to people, but for some of us it is an amazing sound. You can't see it usually. I have been blessed with seeing many owls in my short lifetime, but I never heard them.

My family and I would go camping every weekend. At night time around the fire my family would hear the owl hoot. They would always ask, "Do you hear the owl?" and I always answered no. I couldn't hear it over the sounds of the crickets and other nightlife. I always felt like I was missing something not being able to hear the simple hoot of an owl.

I moved out to the country about 5 years ago. One night, I was sitting next to a fire in my yard very similar to the fire at the campsite with my mother. She asked me, "Did you hear the owl?" and of course I said no. Then, I heard it. I heard my first owl ever. It was so amazing and I was completely thrilled. I heard this wonderful creature that I could never hear before. A very normal thing possibly for others to hear was miraculous for me.

I have lived in this house for 5 years and for 5 years I have been hearing the owls. I write this post today because I know that very soon the owls will start hooting. I am getting more and more anxious to hear them because it is such a special sound. My doctor told me once that I should not be able to hear a thing.

I was too busy listening to the owls to hear what he said.